October 22, 2009

~So, You Think It's Easy, Huh?~Alicia Merret


Greetings! A couple of days ago, I happened upon the website of Alicia Merret, and as it often goes, I ended up spending several hours getting acquainted with the work of this "Oh So Talented Fabric Artist!" I even watched her Part 1, 2, & 3 videos on youtube. I am enthralled with her work, not only the excellence in her designs, and her sewing prowess.....but her colors! She uses bright, bold colors in her quilting art, rarely ever a pastel or white. And it is such a wonderful contrast with her wavy uneven lines that are her trademark. Forget straight lines!! BORRRRING! Go for waves and curves it's fun! Well, after watching her videos, I set out to make a swatch to see if I really understood what she was doing. Although it looked easy enough and made sense when she did it....I found that sewing an uneven line, is rather daunting! You have to get used to crooked being a good thing! It's really not easy at all! How many times I have finished a seam, cut the thread, pulled it off of the machine and looked at a crooked line thinking...what the heck happened here??!! But, when you try to do it on purpose??!! It's hard!! Too funny! Anyway, here is my swatch of crooked lines, and an attempt to boldly contrast my pinks and whites with COLOR!! (smiling) If you get a chance, please look up her youtube videos. She is AMAZING!!
Blessings~

7 comments:

  1. Bwaaaa your too funny. It is difficult isn't it? We are taught to keep our seams true and then when you want to do a patchwork of untrue seams, it's very tricky. This is how I put many of my scraps to use, in patchworks. Nice job!! I love watching control freeks (I am one) do this - it's quite interesting. I'm giggling like a school girl as I know what your going through!! ENJOY. Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cute Sharon! I think I could quilt along with Alicia; I can't cut or sew a straight line; I bet it does take practice to allow oneself to "think outside the box" and go crooked (lines that is :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon, this is so lovely, lovely... so good that you are bieng inspired by others and get to work to make your wonderful quilts... would love to have just one of your beauties!!!
    Hugs
    María Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen her work before and it is fascinating! Good for you for trying out a new technique that is outside your "norm". I think your blocks look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Sharon, you mean my sewing crooked is in style now?! COOL! I'll go check it out too.
    Smiles,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  6. WoW ~ Being new to sewing, I am driven crazy by my crooked lines so I think I must check out Alicia's work! Might be right up my alley!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sharon, thank you very much for your visit today, you are a very sweet lady. I´m in love with all your pillows, all you show in your side bar, they are so enchanted to me.
    Hugs
    María Cecilia

    ReplyDelete