October 28, 2009

~Rose Colored Glasses~

Good Morning Friends! As I was reading my morning devotional, "Soul Retreats for Women" I came across this wonderful story that I wanted to share with you.

"A gal who is remembered around the world for her mountainous hope was described as "being excessively cheerful and unduly optimistic." She was said to have looked at an impossible situation through rose-colored glasses.
Five days into a trip across the Atlantic on the legendary Titanic, Margaret Tobin Brown found herself bobbing around in a lifeboat in the freezing cold with fourteen other women and prophet-of-doom officer. The officer insisted they'd never escape the undertow when the ship went down.

Margaret refused to give in to negative thinking. If this man wasn't going to save the lifeboat, she would. She insisted they keep warm by fast-paced rowing during those daunting hours before they were rescued, and lifted their hopes with her indomitable spirit. She created survivor lists and radioed them to the families. She even raised money for destitute victims of the sinking, collection almost $10,000 in pledges. She rightly earned the famous nickname, "The Unsinkable Molly Brown."

Isn't that a wonderful story? And in keeping with this uplifting theme, John Homer Miller wrote, " Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens. Circumstances and situations do color life, but you....choose what the color will be."

My sweet mom gave me this little book in 2002, and I have read and reread it so many times. It's a dear book of poems and scripture mixed with quotes from various well known people. And such a great way to begin my day. I hope that you enjoyed the story as well.
Blessings~

6 comments:

  1. Oh Sharon,
    That is a lovely story and I just love that quote. This books must be a priceless gift. That quote really spoke to my heart today. Thank you, you have no idea how much I needed to read those words today.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon I have chills reading your post today. This was so what my spirit wanted. I love that fact that we can choose to have joy. It definitely is a choice.
    Hugs,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great book. I always try to think positively. I might have to print out that quote and stick it up somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a 12 stepping gal, choice is the gift we give ourselves. Loved your post today. Beautiful. I have a couple of devotional books which I truely never grow tired of reading. Wonderful quote to share. Thank you. Hugs. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sharon ~~ Wonderful story about the Unsinkable Molly Brown. A very
    courageous lady. Thank you for the story. Also for your comments about my family (or part of) My daughter
    lives 5 hours away, so they don't visit often. Kathy's daughter, Kate
    lives in Geelong about 3 hours away.
    That is what made this weekend so special. Take great care, my friend,
    Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lovely story and the book too. It is so good to have books we can return to, over and over, for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete