March 10, 2010

~ It's DeTox for Me!~

For years I have been trying to find a non toxic multi purpose cleaner that I can use daily inside my home without the worry that I am poisoning my hubby, myself and Freeway. Honestly, I have used some cleaning products that would curl your toes! Stuff that catches in your throat and makes you cough. Shower cleaners that made me dizzy! And cleaners that corroded the bathroom fixtures. How toxic is that? My poor old dog would sneeze and run into another room when I cleaned. My hubby & I would wake up with stuffy noses and headaches. We're talking TOXIC! Several months ago I happened to catch a "Dr. OZ" when he was speaking about the health dangers of toxic cleaning fluids. He said not to buy any product that doesn't have the ingredients listed. I went to my cupboard, and noticed that several of the products didn't have the chemicals listed! He gave a recipe for an easy to make, non toxic cleanser and I began to use it. I only wish that I had found it sooner! I wanted to share it with you in case you missed OZ. Bonus!!! It turns out that in the last several months (4 or 5) I have saved a substantial amount of money on cleaning goods.
I like that! But most of all we can breathe better in this home of ours and we haven't had headaches on a regular basis like before. And... it smells good and clean.
Here is the recipe, so easy to make:
1 tbl. Borax (remember the 20 mule team?)
3 tbl. vinegar
2 cups water
1 tbl. liquid dish soap (not dishwasher soap)(not shown in picture)
1 drop essential oil (optional) I use lavender because it is tolerated by all, and I happen to love it!
Mix all ingredients together and shake it up. Get yourself a 360 squirt bottle (great for high places and toilet bowls) and spray!
I use this on counter tops, my pergo floor, all appliances, even windows and mirrors.
As I said I've been testing it out for a few months, and like it more and more with each use. So if you have been wanting to eliminate some of the toxic chemicals that you use in your homes, try this, it's great!
Blessings~Sharon
Music for this post: "Irish Washerwoman"

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the recipe! I have been looking for the same thing.

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use that borax in my wash on towels so I have some handy. I'll have to try out your recipe for good and healthy cleaning! Thank you! I'm all about saving money. I saw on another blog that a good way to keep mold and mildew out of your shower is a mix of vinegar and water. I'll be cleaning cheaper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Imma cook me up some cleaner for the casa. Thanks for the recipe.

    This reminds me of the time I was cleaning my shower tile with straight bleach. Not smart. I breathed in the fumes and they literally burned the lining of my lungs causing sever edema! I almost had to go to the hospital. It took well over a year for my lungs to even feel somewhat normal after that - but they sure were clean and sanitary. That's for sure.

    You know, they say Borax is good for killing critters too, like termites! Not sure if that's a myth or not, but I'm for anything that makes termites unhappy.

    I'm still crazy about that Irish music. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If my family want me to clean then I will only use natural products. We have some Green Works Natural Cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sharon!! I appreciate the recipe!! I will use it!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks like an interesting recipe for the cleaners to try, Sharon; want to come and sample it here??? the house sure could use a good cleaning with healthy cleaners :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sharon:
    Thanks for the detox cleaning recipe. I'll have to try it!

    Thanks for joining Brynwood, too. I'm doing the same here, and look forward to getting to know you better.

    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Sharon ~~ Sounds like a good cleaning recipe and I will try it too
    Thank you for your comments, and yes I was lucky during the storm.
    My health has taken another turn --
    my heart is all right, so the echo-
    cardiogram showed, but as I am still short of breath, we think now it is Emphysema (now just called lung disease) I smoked for 40 years and when I started at 17 there were no warnings etc. So it is self-inflicted, but it is probably better than a bad heart.
    Take great care dear friend,
    Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete